Australia Weather News

Team Saba were doing the Rottnest Swim to raise money for the foundation set up in the name of Saba Rose Button (centre). (Supplied)

Weather may have derailed the Rottnest Channel Swim, but dozens of swimmers were determined to complete their own version of the event in the name of charity.

Organisers made the decision to cancel the iconic event yesterday amid safety concerns due to strong winds.

Instead of making the 19.7-kilometre journey in open water, 43 swimmers from Team Saba dived into a suburban swimming pool on Saturday to finish what they started.

Nine teams, three duos and one solo swimmer completed their swim distances at Bold Park Aquatic Centre in Perth's western suburbs, determined not to let months of training go to waste, and to thank those who had donated to the Saba Rose Button Foundation.

Saba Button was severely disabled after getting a flu jab when she was 11 months old in 2010.

Saba Rose Button Foundation general manager Kirsten Button, who is Saba's mother, said the team supported the decision to cancel the event.

"Everyone is really disappointed … the Rottnest Swim is one of our main and most favourite events," Ms Button said.

"It's a shame to be doing it in the pool, but it's exciting too that we've actually put closure to all the hard work and all the training and effort that they've put in."

The team has already raised more than $32,000 and is pushing towards its $40,000 target for the foundation, a WA-based charity supporting children with complex and high needs.

Ms Button said the money raised would go towards therapy, specialised equipment and respite for families in need.

Swimmers accept decision

Swimmers who travelled to Perth for the Rottnest swim said they were disappointed but understanding of the decision to pull the plug.

Tim Trezise had driven more than three hours from Kojonup, about 250km south-east of Perth, for the event.

"I feel pretty flat, probably for everybody who's done all the training, but probably mostly for the people who are trying to put it on," Mr Trezise said.

"They've worked all year to put this event on for us. So yeah, feeling for them as well."

However, he said conditions meant it could have been a dangerous swim.

"It's really hectic and it is really dangerous trying to get in and out of the boat, it drifts into other swimmers and the poor old paddlers," he said.

"We were really worried about our paddlers this weekend. They're sort of Wheatbelt boys and haven't had much experience on the water."

Samara Rogers, who had driven up from Margaret River, had been prepared to take the event on but was understanding of the decision to axe it.

"Of course it's really disappointing but, you know, that's the joys of open water swimming — you've got to take what you can get," she said.

WA government minister John Carey said cancelling the event was the right decision.

"I understand people's frustration and disappointment but ultimately safety comes first," he said.

Mr Carey said it was best to avoid a repeat of what happened in the 2024 Rottnest Swim, which had to be cancelled mid-way due to weather conditions.

ABC