Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Hazardous Surf Warning for Queensland
Issued at 4:52 AM EST on Tuesday 18 Jan 2022.Long period, deceptively powerful easterly swell will persist along the exposed southeast coast during Monday and Tuesday. This swell is been generated by a combination of a large high near New Zealand, and Ex-Tropical Cyclone Cody while moving south of Fiji towards New Zealand. The easterly swell is expected to ease midweek. Surf and swell conditions are expected to be hazardous for coastal activities such as rock fishing, boating, surfing and swimming in the following areas.
Tuesday, 18 JanHazardous Surf Warning for
Fraser Island Coast, Sunshine Coast Waters and Gold Coast Waters
Surf Life Saving Queensland advise that:
- People should consider staying out of the water and avoid walking near surf-exposed areas.
- Rock fishers should avoid coastal rock platforms exposed to the ocean and seek a safe location that is sheltered from the surf.
- Boaters planning to cross shallow water and ocean bars should consider changing or delaying their voyage.
- Boaters already on the water should carry the appropriate safety equipment and wear a lifejacket.
- Boaters should remember to log on with their local radio base and consider their safety management plan.