Australia Weather News

Buildings in Alice Springs were sandbagged on Sunday. (ABC News: Xavier Martin)

Heavy rain across central parts of the Northern Territory has forced dozens of road closures and prompted calls for residents to prepare for potential flash flooding.

A broad trough has extended over central parts of the NT, with widespread heavy rainfall in the Barkly region expected to move south over the coming days.

The flood watch area is large, covering parts of the eastern, central and western inland areas of the territory.

The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning for heavy, locally intense rainfall and damaging winds for the Simpson and parts of Barkly and Tanami districts.

The bureau also warned heavy rainfall could lead to flash flooding, with six-hourly rainfall totals between 60mm and 90mm likely.

The bureau said locally intense rainfall could lead to dangerous and life-threatening flash flooding overnight in the southern Barkly and northern Simpson districts. 

"This rainfall has resulted in river level rises and flooding across the Barkly and Georgina River catchments since Saturday, and rainfall and flooding is expected to continue during Sunday and into Monday and Tuesday," the bureau said.

"River and creek level rises, and areas of flooding are also expected across the Central Desert and eastern parts of the Tanami Desert catchment from Sunday.

"In the MacDonnell Ranges, Finke River, Stephenson Creek and Simpson Desert catchments, flooding is possible from Monday onwards."

NT Police Deputy Regional Controller James Gray Spence urged motorists to be cautious.

"Critically, in the next 24-48 hours as the system progresses to the south, we are anticipating further rainfall," he said.

"That's further soaked roads, further isolated heavy falls and river rises.

"Delay all non-essential travel, stay off the roads, stay home, stay safe."

Alice Springs prepares for the worst

Following flash flooding that caused the Todd River to burst its banks in Alice Springs last week — surprising residents and prompting calls for better emergency warning systems — residents and businesses have been busy preparing in case of another event this weekend.

Northern Territory Emergency Services has provided sandbags for people to prepare their properties.

So far, emergency services say they have filled and provided more than 500 sandbags to residents and businesses.

Outside a building on South Terrace that saw its car park inundated last week, bollards, sandbags and tarps have been put in place to mitigate any further damage.

Roads closed

Dozens of roads across the region have been closed due to flooding.

The Department of Logistics and Infrastructure has advised that the Stuart Highway is closed between Ali Curung and Tennant Creek due to flooding, with other sections of the highway between Alice Springs and Ali Curung with water over the road and access restricted to high-clearance four-wheel drives only.

"Recent widespread rainfall and flooding across the Barkly and Central Australia is significantly impacting the road network," the department said.

"Essential travel only is recommended across both regions due to potentially hazardous conditions.

"Non-essential travel should be avoided. Floodwater, washouts, unstable road surfaces, and impassable creek crossings continue to pose significant risks."

Motorists are encouraged to check the Road Report website for the latest road information.

ABC