Kidnap footage released
Police have released CCTV and mobile phone footage in the hope it will aid their investigation into a man being kidnapped and stabbed in a 'brazen and violent" attack in Sydney's west in September.
A 24-year-old man was walking in Merrylands before he was assaulted by five men and forced into the rear of a car.
The man was allegedly detained at a vacant unit for several hours, before he was found suffering a stab wound to the shoulder by a member of the public at Wellington Road, Birrong.
He was taken to Liverpool Hospital for treatment.
Detective Superintendent Andrew Koutsoufis said police were seeking information about two vehicles depicted in the footage, a white Toyota Hiace with the registration number BK59LG, and a black Toyota Hilux with the registration number AMEBLD.
"This is an extremely violent and brazen attack that occurred on a suburban Sydney street on a Saturday afternoon," he said.
Consent laws a 'game changer'
An advocacy group for survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence has described new consent laws passed by NSW parliament as a "huge" step forward.
Under the reforms, consent will need to be verbally or physically communicated before sex.
The government said the change would simplify sexual consent laws and ensure more effective prosecutions of sexual assault offences.
Full Stop Australia CEO Hayley Foster said it was a game changer.
"This is huge, you can't overstate this," Ms Foster said.
"We finally have a legislative framework in New South Wales that actually recognises that you cannot assume consent.
'You will have to, if you want to engage in a sexual activity with somebody, you have to have an indication from them they actually want to engage in a sexual activity."
Junior doctors sue for wage theft
More than 100 junior doctors are suing the NSW government for wage theft, arguing they have been robbed of millions of dollars in overtime and meal allowances.
The doctors are filing proceedings in the New South Wales Supreme Court for wage theft and breach of their employment award.
Their union, the Australian Salaried Medical Officers Federation (ASMOF), said the aim of the action was not just to ensure doctors were paid fairly, but also to change the award to create a safer workplace.
"There's nothing else we can do … so we got to the point of saying enough is enough, time's up, we have to change this system in NSW," ASMOF president Tony Sara said.
"[The employment award] is not fit for purpose. We need to make it safe for young doctors and make it safe for patient care."
This is the second action brought against NSW Health for underpayment of junior doctors. A class action by Maurice Blackburn and Hayden Stephens & Associates was lodged last year.
Police investigating William's disappearance seize items
NSW Police have seized several items as part of the renewed search for missing toddler William Tyrrell on the NSW Mid-North Coast.
Detectives and dozens of riot police officers will return to Kendall later this morning on day 10 of their operation.
Grave archaeologist Tony Lowe and another officer unearthed a large piece of black fabric from bushland across the road from an area where red threads and blue cloth were found a few days ago.
It could be weeks before the results of forensic tests are known.
So far there has been no sign of the three-year-old's remains since he vanished without a trace from his foster-grandmother's home in Kendall in 2014.
Shorter La Niña forecast for NSW
The weather bureau says while La Niña has arrived in Australia, the rest of spring and summer will not necessarily be a complete washout.
Yesterday, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) declared that a La Niña event was officially underway in the Pacific for the second consecutive year.
Hugh McDowell, senior forecaster with the NSW BOM, said the state would get above-average rainfall over the next three to four months but beach days were still on the cards.
"That La Niña event looks like it's going to last until around February or March, so that's generally shorter than last year," Mr McDowell said.
"That doesn't mean that there's going to be persistent, constant rain all the way to the end of spring and summer.
"It means that there's more likely to be more frequent rainfall. But it doesn't preclude days or warm and sunny weeks even."
'We're all just a bit sick of it''
Heavy rain is set to move back into the state's Central West, drenching already flood-affected communities.
The BOM is forecasting up to 20 millimetres at Forbes and Cowra today and residents at Bedgerabong are being warned they could be cut off until Christmas.
Local farmer Jimmy Griffiths said residents had been warned they might be cut off from nearby Forbes for weeks.
"We're concerned but given this year, everything that's been thrown at us, we're all just a bit sick of it," Mr Griffiths said.
"We might need to give Christmas a miss this year because we'll all still be in Lachlan River lockdown."
The local primary school's principal Paul Faulkner said staff were being flown in by helicopter each day to ensure pupils did not have to go back to homeschooling.
"They [students] want to be here and the word from the parents is they need to be here," Mr Faulkner said.
"This is the safest, best place for them. They're happy to be here, they love their friends."
Three teens charged over alleged armed robbery
Three teenagers will face court today after an alleged armed robbery in Western Sydney.
NSW Police said a 64-year-old man was left in a serious condition after his wallet, keys and car were allegedly stolen in Blacktown just after 2am yesterday.
Police said the man was driving with a young woman, who had asked for a lift home from a licensed premises, when she asked him to stop.
When they got out of the car, they were approached by a group of men carrying bats and metal poles.
The men and the woman allegedly assaulted the elderly male before fleeing in his Range Rover. He was taken to Westmead Hospital with suspected multiple injuries.
Just after 4am yesterday, police said they stopped a car in Toongabbie and arrested two 18-year-old men and a 17-year-old girl.
The three were charged and refused bail.
The girl will appear at a children's court today and the two men are due to appear at Blacktown Local Court.ABC