Australia Weather News

Man killed in CBD hit and run

A truck driver has been arrested after a man was killed in a suspected hit and run in Sydney's CBD overnight.

The body of the 21-year-old man was found in Central Street about 1:30am.

Police arrested a 52-year-old truck driver in Kings Cross about 4:30am and were questioning him.

Meanwhile, a 16-year-old boy died after being struck by a car at Shellharbour, south of Wollongong, last night.

He suffered critical head and chest injuries and was flown to Sydney Children's Hospital where he later died.

'Phenomenal' flooding near Coffs Harbour

An intense burst of rain near Coffs Harbour overnight has caused flash flooding, with seven rescue operations and a number of people left stranded in their homes.

Major flooding is expected at Glenreagh north of Coffs Harbour this morning and later today at Coutts Crossing, with more showers and thunderstorms forecast by the Bureau of Meteorology.

In Coramba, Bert Milne was caught by surprise when his car and trailer washed away.

"We had water going through my place at around 15-20 knots and a phenomenal volume of it," he said.

"Enough to pick my car up and just take it off into the dark, as well as the trailer. The motorbike is completely underwater. The whole joint's just a mess.

The Orara River was expected to reach about 14 metres this morning.

Wait for power continues

Ausgrid says the 38,000 customers in Sydney and the Central Coast still without power should prepare for a weekend in the dark after last week's horror storms.

Power has been restored to 102,000 homes and businesses so far but there are still more than 2,000 hazards on the network, including fallen trees and snapped power poles.

"This was one of the worst storms to hit our network in the past 20 years," Ausgrid said.

Additional crews from Queensland, Victoria and South Australia are assisting with recovery.

Sampieri to be sentenced

Convicted sex offender Anthony Sampieri will be sentenced today for kidnapping and raping a young girl at a dance studio in Sydney's south.

Sampieri was arrested after he attacked and choked the seven-year-old girl in a locked toilet cubicle at the Kogarah studio in November 2018.

At the time of the rape, the father of another child bashed down the toilet cubicle door and was stabbed several times by Sampieri.

A dentist working in the same building then restrained Sampieri until police arrived.

Fire property cleaning begins

The massive operation to clean up homes and businesses destroyed and damaged by the bushfires will swing into action today, with debris being cleared from the fire-ravaged town of Rainbow Flat on the NSW Mid North Coast.

Deputy Premier John Barilaro and Assistant Police Commissioner and state recovery coordinator Mick Willing will oversee the start of work this morning, which is being carried out by construction firm Laing O'Rourke.

The ABC understands excavators will clear approximately 40 destroyed properties at Rainbow Flat, near Taree, in the coming days.

It is part of a joint deal between the state and federal governments to foot the cost of the clean-up on a 50:50 basis, so insured and uninsured owners will have more money in their pockets to rebuild homes.